A Modern Sewing Blog.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fabric Covered Box

This post is late and let me begin by saying I am sorry. We had major computer difficulties which really threw a wrench into my plans, I had no idea how many things depended on my dear ol' lap top. Even my current knitting project was on there! So any way the folks at the apple store were able to fix her up and now I'm here, just a day late.

Valentine's is just around the corner and I thought it would be fun to highlight a few different Valentine's projects. Today's project is a fabric covered box. A wonderful way to use up small bits of fabric. I've used these boxes to gift homemade necklaces and even homemade chocolate truffles.

Materials:
Small paper box (you can find these at most craft stores, I got mine at Michaels for $1)
Mod Podge (I like the Matte finish it's not as shiny)
A small cheap paint brush
Fabric (For this project I used coordinating squares from a Moda Charm pack).

Cut fabric the height of the sides, paint the sides of the box with Mod Podge and smooth fabric onto the sides. If there is excess fabric fold it over onto the bottom or into the box to cover the inside walls. You may need to snip the corners to get it to lay flat.


Cut another piece of fabric that will fit the top of the lid and smooth down onto the sides. You might need to snip the corners to get it to lay flat much like you would if you were clipping or trimming a curve in sewing.

Trace around the top to get a piece that will fit in the upper lid


Once you have the fabric glued to the box paint a coat of Mod Podge over the entire box to seal. Let dry completely (with lid off the box). Then decorate with ribbons, buttons, beads or other trims.

I've also covered other boxes with old poems, sheet music and other paper in the same way. These little boxes are very inexpensive and quick to make yet take small gift giving to another level.




No comments:

Post a Comment