A Modern Sewing Blog.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Parliament of Owls.

Apparently a group of owls is called a parliament. I just love that don't you?! If only lawmakers were as  cute as this group of little owls, they're certainly wise as they sit upon your sewing desk holding your pins. It seems as if they have all the answers to your sewing conundrums, or at least they imbue a sense of humor to all that you sew!

Owls are all the rage right now and these cuties are small (about the size of a large spool of thread), and very easy to whip up. You could make an entire parliament for your friends with very little time (something that's much appreciated this time of year). The pattern says they're pincushions, and what cute ones they are, but they could just as easily be small stuffed toys for children (age appropriate of course because I think they could be a choking hazard), or Christmas ornaments. Just sew a ribbon loop on the top and you've got the perfect stocking stuffer or package trimming.
What a cute bunch of moda owls! 

A few notes: I mostly used fabric from a Moda Bundle I bought in the shop along with a few vintagy fabrics from my stash. The first few I made looked, well, odd to say the least. If I was being honest I'd say they looked drugged (my husband thought the first owl I made looked like a mad scientist)! I couldn't figure it out until I realized that I had used white buttons as the pupils instead of black! Once I corrected that mistake they looked cute as ever.
I filled mine with corn because I was too lazy to go to the pet store
for crushed walnut shells like they suggested. As you can see my owls
may have substance abuse problems. It's fast if you make a bunch
factory style.

The pattern instructs you to sew the buttons together first and then sew them to the owl. That was a bit fiddly for me and I liked the way the buttons look when you put the black ones off center from the white, I think it makes the owls look amused (which is an idea I got from Ramona Quimby Age 6). So I got out my trusty glue gun and glued the buttons together and glued them to the owls. It worked great for me and was way faster.

I also liked the way the owls look without the yarn. In fact I couldn't decide which I liked better. My husband reads this cute comic to the kids about a lovable owl who enjoys gardening, and I thought without the yarn looked much more like Owly, so I made them both ways.

If your wanting to make your own owls you can pick up a pattern in our shop or you can order it at our online store AND if you leave a comment on this post answering the question: "who or what inspires you to sew the most" you will be entered to win an owl pattern for FREE. We'll mail it anywhere so even if your not local enter (on this blog not on Facebook)! We'll randomly pick a winner Monday!
A picture of the pattern you can buy it at
our online shop or win a copy!.
Happy Sewing,
Love Jessie.

4 comments:

  1. Who inspires me the most to sew? hmm that's an easy question without an easy answer. I guess I'd have to say other members of my quilt guild. Some with their challenges ( I never could turn down a 'dare' lol) and others with their "I know YOU can do this" and even others who bring in their completed projects that when I see them, I just HAVE to make myself!... A bunch of enablers are what they are LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. It's other sewing friends that push me onwards!

      Delete