A Modern Sewing Blog.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Quilt Show 2013


So I am back from my first ever quilt show and let me tell you it was an experience! I've always known that people love quilts and loved quilting but I had no idea how much there is out there. It's like discovering a new world.
The Sew Unique Booth.
Lovely Sue spending time with a customer at our booth. 
First, let me say there were so many beautiful, lovely quilts, that I'll never be able to express it. Second, I love art, and I love artisans (meaning the making of old fashioned things like soaps, cheese, and wood working) quilts might be the most perfect bridge of those two things. While they serve the most basic of needs (staying warm) they are so artistic and beautiful. To those of you who quilt I doff my hat to you! It's so detailed and intense I don't know if I'll ever be up for that kind of massive commitment but oh how beautiful they are.
I love love love that Michigan quilt! The colors in the pink and green quilt are perfect
along with tea, being one of my perfect things. Mix and match strips (from the shop).
Halloween fat quarters (from the shop).
Beautiful award winning quilts.
I went with some friends, and I met some people there. Everyone was so nice and lovely. I visited with an older woman who was telling me she was at a quilt show they awarded Best of Show to the first person who had used a machine to do the actual quilting. She said there was nearly a riot! While I'm sure things have changed somewhat, it's still a serious business and I was so happy to be in the midst of it all. And, who knows, maybe sometime I'll join the ranks of those who can call themselves quilters. 
The photographers; Me and my young apprentice. Start em' young I always say.
P.S. I love those yo-yos

Quilting friends, make quilting all the more delightful!
If your inspired to start a quilt come into the shop where there is lots of expertise and even more fabrics. Or you can check out the website to order online.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a 'fer-distance' away, but love your site; especially seeing the talented quilters and other sewers. I love the Michigan quilt as well, maybe some of your locals could duplicate it. Michigan will always be home to any Michigander..."no matter how far away they roam"...Great site...love the postings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can take the girl and her sewing machine out of MI, but you can't take the MI out of the girl! Thank you for the lovely comment, and maybe someday you can take a "sewing" trip and come see us!

      Delete