A Modern Sewing Blog.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Hedgehog Potholders


Hedge Fun!
When I was in college my then boyfriend (now husband) had a pet hedgehog. He would take her to class in the front pocket of his sweatshirt. We called her Miss Tiggywinkle and the summer of our engagement she came to live with me while he did his internship. Ever since then hedgehogs have had a special place in my heart. They're so cute and storybook-like.
Don't worry they're protected from hot pans by their prickles.

Hedgehog potholders
As soon as I saw the pattern for these potholders I knew I had to make a few for our kitchen (did you know a group of hedgehogs is called a prickle? Isn't that just the cutest?). I used Some of the shop's Cotton and Steel fabric for a quirky modern twist on the lovable little creatures. The pattern was pretty easy to use, I made it even easier by hot gluing the eyes on and drawing the smile with fabric pen instead of embroidering it.

Hedgehog Hot Pads
As long as we're on the subject of smallish things, Sue made this adorable little pineapple pincushion. This pattern from Sewn Into the Fabric "Pineapple Crush" is a fantastic way to use up little pieces of fabric. I actually like the wool one Sue made better then the ones on the cover of the pattern.

Pineapple Crush
Both of these would be great to whip up for a quick gift. Potholders for a house warming or bridal shower and pincushions for the sewing enthusiast in your life. Both use little fabric and are super cute. You can find the pattern for the Hedgehogs HERE, the fabric I used HERE and the pattern for the pineapple HERE. Or you can come into the shop.

I hope your finding that January is the perfect time for sewing projects. I know I am!
Happy Sewing,
Love,
Jessie and Sue.


No comments:

Post a Comment