A Modern Sewing Blog.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Easy Patch Work

Today I wanted to share with you a trick I picked up for making patch work pillows, bags or other decorative items. I originally gleaned this piece of information from Posie Gets Cozy my favorite sewing blog. I've been reading her posts for years, filled with wonderful pictures and great indie patterns.

Instead of sewing each square one at a time there is a much quicker way. I don't know that this would work well for an actual blanket because the ending result is a bit stiff, however, for home decor and accessories I think this is brilliant. I've used this method to make pillows, cushions, and even purses!

I'll be making a pillow for this example.

1. Cut a piece of fusible interfacing as big as you need it to be. (I was really professional and lay the pillow form on the interfacing and cut around it.) Lay it fusible side up.

2.  Lay your squares on the interfacing, touching but not overlapping.

3. Using an iron affix your squares to the interfacing.

4. Fold over the first column of squares and iron.

5. Sew the entire length of the column at one time!

6. Fold over and iron and sew each consecutive column, followed by each row.

7. You now have a square of perfectly lined up patches in no time at all!
I need a slightly bigger pillow form. Fabric is from moda's smore's collection.

We have a new kit on special for this week and next. It's a hedgehog appliqué tea towel. 13.95 includes all the fabric and the towel. 

Crazy how fast summer is slipping away. Already I can feel a chill creeping around the edges and am shocked to see night coming on sooner and sooner. I'm not ready for this season to be gone. I'll just keep sewing campy little pillows and garden things.

Happy Sewing,
Love,
Jessie and Sue


2 comments: