A Modern Sewing Blog.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Amy Butler's Weekender Bag

This post is coming to you a day early because I'm leaving for a long weekend to celebrate my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. I'm riding to MD with three of my lady cousins and I think it's going to be a smashing time.

Perfect opportunity to pull out my Weekender Bag that I made a year or so ago. The title to this bag is really misleading because you can fit so much in it. I'm an over-packer especially this time of year (weather forecast to go from mid sixties to forties in one day). I was able to pack enough clothes for five days! Plus all my hair stuff etc. I love the shape of it, and I get compliments on the bag whenever I use it.
Sweet dog, wish I could take him with me.



The pattern is in the shop and online, click HERE to view. I am a much more advanced sewist now then when I first made this bag, and I was still able to put it together in a few days (nothing like a deadline to motivate  you. I think I had bought the fabric and pattern months before but then had a looming trip and made it really quick) You'll definitely want to use a heavy duty needle and a good machine. I made this on one of those small Kenmore starter machines and I'm pretty certain it was the nail in it's coffin. That was fine with me I had been needing to move up to a bigger machine for a while anyway.

See the pattern HERE.
The pattern calls for home decor fabric but in true Jessie fashion I fell in love with a quilting cotton. I simply fused a heavy weight interfacing to the outer fabric and it seems to be holding up fine. I used Moda's Dominique II fabric. We still have several yards of this in the shop, I LOVE this fabric. For the handles, trim and inside I used a polka dot also from moda (but am unsure of the name).
This is the weekender that Sue made.
She has such an eye for a modern look!

This bag reminds me of why I love sewing so much. Such a unique and completely, Jessie, piece of luggage I couldn't have obtained any other way.

Happy Sewing friends, I hope your weekend is as enjoyable as mine will be.
Love,
Jessie and Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment