A Modern Sewing Blog.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Reader Wrap

I got a Kindle for Christmas. It's a great present for a reader but a terrible present for a klutz. I'm both those things. And after an epic candle disaster which ended with a pool of wax all over the night stand and floor (we're talking a lake sized amount) and a tiny bit on my new reader I decided I needed a cover. I finished the reader cover today, though I might go back and clean up the bias binding, it's not as perfect as I'd like but I'll get to that.
You can buy the pattern HERE or in store.

I used the Atkinson Designs pattern ATK-156 Reader wrap. I really like this pattern it uses three fat quarters and some heavy duty pel tex.  Did you know that we sell all our fat quarters for $3! It's so much easier to splurge of fancy moda fabrics when it's only three dollars. The notions I used were in my stash so this reader ended up costing me only $9, take that Amazon!

The book you see on my Kindle is one of the best books I've read
in a long time. "My Mother's Chamomile" by Susie Finkbeinger
you can check it out on Amazon if your interested.

Love the extra pocket and the charger hole.
 My paper white is a bit smaller then the readers used for this pattern so I took a little off the height (about an inch). I wish that I'd also taken a little off the width, maybe 1/5 inch on both sides. The directions were really easy to follow until it came to the last step which was the binding. I felt like their binding was too wide, it actually covered the hole left for the charger. If I was doing this again I would make bias tape with my tape maker and apply it like that. I had such a hard time I ended up putting it on by hand (which is not my favorite method of sewing). Other then the binding I really think this pattern is great, super simple and I really like the look of it.
I just love birds!

I used the following fabrics: Sweet Serenade from Moda (available in store) , Curio 30275-11, and Tula Pink from Moda's Hushabye collection (also available in store). I thought I was grabbing all non-moda fabrics, on purpose because I use so much of theirs but I guess you like what you like...

Like the quilt? It's the Hippy Hippy Shake quilt and we've got kits available and I think there's some of the Curio in there. And finally, don't forget Gertie's block of the month. Aren't they too cute?

Well my dears it looks as if Spring could possibly maybe be on it's way. I do hope so!
Happy Sewing,
Love
Jessie and Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment