A Modern Sewing Blog.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Tis the Season for Rain Jackets.

Finally the sun is back! I love rainy weather but only for a day here and a day there. Once it's been raining for a few days I begin to feel sad, seriously I'll cry over anything. Can you say Seasonal Affective Disorder?

This chilly wet weather inspired us to put our laminated fabrics on the website because of the beautiful possibilities there are for jackets. In fact I made a jacket out of fabric from the store last year and it is STILL the piece I am most proud of and the piece that I get the most compliments on. When I began working on this jacket it was out of necessity, I needed something I could wear so that I could walk the dog even if it was damp outside, my old school sweatshirts just weren't cutting it any more. However, even if it was out of practicality that this jacket was conceived I wanted it to be something special. I envisioned it harkening back to some of my girlhood things; something pink, and floral, and with butterflies. Friends, I get more compliments from women and girls of all ages on this jacket, then on anything else I've ever made! I love this jacket, and the rain boots (something I've always wanted) simply make the ensemble sweeter. If your interested in a more detailed post on the rain jacket you can read about it here, here and here

Just being a little silly.



If your interested in making your own jacket, or if you're wondering what else can be made from laminated fabrics (there are sooooo many good ideas, chair covers, table clothes, traveling pouches, bibs, aprons, reusable market bags...) check out our new Pinterest board, laminated fabrics. And if your interested in the fabric I made my jacket from, or the pattern they are available in the store (along with so many others) and in our online shop.
I lined the jacket in flannel to give it a bit more warmth.
This is MI, after all. I call it "french bicycles"
(it's actually from the baby department).

The pattern I used was very straightforward. I
left off the extra thing over the shoulders.

I did finally finish the last apron, and am hoping to cut into my dress pattern today! Oh I'm crossing my fingers that I can get it finished before next Friday (when I hope to wear it). Wish me luck, and as always...
Happy Sewing to you friends
Love, Jessie.

No comments:

Post a Comment