A Modern Sewing Blog.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Fun Non-sewing, sewing project.

It's the holidays and I like it when there are bits of decorations everywhere, even in my sewing room. This small space really becomes ground zero of Christmas making and it seems a shame to not the imbue, at least a little, holiday charm into this most creative of spaces. The one problem for me is that there isn't a lot of room and there isn't a lot of money. My solution, a small tree trimmed in all sewing and crafting themed items.

This small tree is nestled between my sewing desk
and guest chair.

Even a antique measuring tape becomes a tree trimming. 
 I bought this small pre lit tree after Christmas last year for a song. Then I made the garland and decorated the tree with things I already had, little thread scissors, pincushions, and old spools of thread. Of course I'll be keeping my eyes open for other things to go on this tree but even in it's
sparser state it looks cute.

I'm most proud of the garland, which I had envisioned and it actually came together like the picture in my head and was a simple quick project. Here's a quick rundown if your interested.
What You'll Need:
1 bag colored Pom Poms
2 bags of  Bells
One bag of mini wooden spools
One bag of larger wooden spools
Fishing line or nylon Monofilament (for making jewelry)



Using a large needle cut a long pice of line (I made mine about as long as my ironing board because any longer became too hard to work with.) Tie a knot in one end and tie the other end to the needle. Then string on a pom pom, small spool, pom, bell, pom, small spool, pom, bell, pom large spool, leaving a small space between each item and looping the line around the spools and bells. Repeat. I found that the spools and bells tended to shift a little so after everything was strung I used the ol' glue gun to secure them in place. I had enough materials to make about three strands.
Close up of the garland. I like how the bells give it a vintage 50's vibe.
If your looking for gift making inspiration we've started a new Pinterest board filled with gift making ideas click HERE and don't forget to check out our Christmas board for even more holiday inspiration!

Happy Sewing, AND crafting dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment